S.T.A.R. Limited Warranty
STAR System International Ltd. (Seller) warrants that the aluminum products supplied will be free of all defects in material and workmanship that significantly impair their operation and proper usage for a period of twenty (20) years from the date of substantial completion to the original owner.
Laminated (SGP & PVB) glass, if applicable, carries a five (5) year limited manufacturer warranty.
The powder coated product finishes are engineered to meet or exceed the performance requirements on color and gloss retention set forth in the “Voluntary Specification, Performance Requirements and Test Procedures for Superior Performing Organic Coatings on Aluminum Extrusions and Panels” – American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA 2604). This specification calls for Florida exposure south of latitude 27° North at a 45° angle facing south for a minimum of five (5) years with a minimum of 30% gloss retention (ASTM 523) and a maximum ΔE color change of 5.0 units ASTM D2244. The recommended procedures stated in AAMA 2604, and all other written specifications including maintenance and cleaning procedure, must be met.
This warranty specifically excludes, but not limited to, damage caused by negligence, alteration, accident, improper installation, abuse, misuse, vandalism and acts of god. The manufacturer, at its discretion, may repair or replace a railing that fails to conform to its warranty after inspection by an authorized company representative. Inspection will take place at the owner’s location or at the factory, this at the manufacturer’s discretion. All charges or expenses for removal, shipping and installation are the responsibility of the purchaser. This warranty is not transferable.
The warranty and remedies are conditioned upon (a) proper maintenance of Products, and (b) Owner keeping accurate and complete records of operation and maintenance during the warranty period and providing Seller access to those records, and (c) modification or repair of Products or Services only as authorized by Seller in writing, and (d) registration of warranty. The coated Metal must be a surface on which no standing water accumulates for an exterior architectural aluminum extrusion or other building product. Failure to meet any such conditions renders the warranty null and void. Seller is not responsible for normal wear and tear.
All claims under this warranty must be directed to:
STAR System International Ltd.,
7465 Conway Avenue
Burnaby, BC, Canada, V5E 2P7.
Claims must include name, address and telephone number. A description of the problem and photograph of the defect should be included.
No agent, dealer, salesperson, or other person is authorized to change this warranty and such changes will not be recognized by the manufacturer.
Product Care and Maintenance
The factory applied electrostatic powder coat paint system on your product is a similar paint finish to many high end automobiles. The care involved should be similar.
Surface Finish Care and Maintenance (for most areas):
- Bi-annual inspections and cleaning schedules are sufficient for most areas. Do not allow build-up of dirt, moss or any foreign debris on the painted surface of the product. Over a period of time this can become baked to the surface marring the finish. Drain holes located at the base of the posts need to be maintained clear of dirt or debris in order to facilitate proper draining. In certain geographic locations improper drainage may result in posts freezing and possible splitting in harsh environments.
- Bi-annual washing of the products with a non-abrasive mild soap (such as car wash or dishwashing soaps) and water using a non-abrasive sponge or cloth. Rinse with clean water as needed to remove the cleaning solution from the product. Do not use harsh detergents or chemicals to clean the product. Avoid excessive rubbing or over-cleaning. Do not allow harsh detergents or chemicals, such as but not limited to, concrete cleaners, insecticides, herbicides etc., come in contact with product when cleaning or spraying other areas of the building or decks. For optimum cleaning do not clean the products in direct sunlight. Temperature range should be between 50 -70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stainless steel products – Stainless Steel is NOT stain or rust proof. Atmospheric conditions, environmental pollution, or even close proximity to a body of water can all be contributing factors to corrosion. Stainless will also discolor, rust or corrode if used in contact with chloride salts, sulfides or other rusting metals. Proper care and maintenance of stainless in most areas, marine environments, polluted surroundings, salted highways, or other situations where stainless may be exposed to corrosive elements will help keep your stainless products beautiful and functional.
Stainless Steel does require monthly maintenance. The best way to remove mild corrosion is with chrome cleaner. Apply like you would a wax, let dry, and rub vigorously to remove spots and restore the luster. On a satin finish you can use a Scotch-Brite pad to remove tougher spots and help restore the original sheen. To ensure lasting beauty, a good quality car wax should be applied after every cleaning.
Surface Finish Care and Maintenance (for Coastal areas):
Product installation within one (1) mile from a coastline is subject to a more rigorous cleaning schedule.
- Monthly inspections and cleaning schedules are required for coastal areas. Do not allow build-up of dirt, moss or any foreign debris on the painted surface of the product. Over a period of time this can become baked to the surface marring the finish.
- Monthly washing of the products with a non-abrasive mild soap (such as car wash or dishwashing soaps) and water using a non-abrasive sponge or cloth. Rinse with clean water as needed to remove the cleaning solution from the product. Do not use harsh detergents or chemicals to clean the product. Avoid excessive rubbing or over-cleaning. Do not allow harsh detergents or chemicals, such as but not limited to, concrete cleaners, insecticides, herbicides etc., come in contact with product when cleaning or spraying other areas of the building or decks. For optimum cleaning do not clean the products in direct sunlight. Temperature range should be between 50 -70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stainless steel products – see above (for most areas)
Touching up products:
- Be sure to touch up areas where bare aluminum has become exposed, as soon as noticed, as this may prevent any further oxidation and future chipping of the paint. Use a small bristle paintbrush and only slightly overlap the original paint and the touch up paint. Avoid using a sprayer as this will cause overspray and result in a larger area that may discolor at a different rate than the original paint. Note: the touch up paint may slightly differ than the original, and over the years this will become more apparent, especially in metallic colors.
- Over the years the painted surface may become dull, a high quality silicone free automobile wax can be applied to restore the finish.
Glass Cleaning (if applicable):
- Cleaning of the glass is similar to the railing. Wipe clean using a mild soap and water with a soft cloth or sponge. A standard glass cleaner and paper towels may also be used. Do not use scrapers or and abrasive items of any kind as this will scratch the glass.
Fasteners and accessories:
- Quarterly checks to see if bolts, fasteners, glass gaskets, and welds have deteriorated or been modified. If this occurs contact your building maintenance manager immediately so that remedies can be performed. Written report to be submitted, to S.T.A.R Systems International, Ltd., during warranty period upon noticing anything questionable.
If you have any concerns or questions please contact S.T.A.R Systems International, Ltd. at 800-661-2773 between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm PST
Click Here For: